North Carolina workers’ compensation laws are in place to protect you if you’ve been involved in a workplace accident that resulted in injury or disability. You’re personally entitled to several benefits such as medical expense coverage and wage replacement, but there’s also aid given to dependents when an employee passes away from an on-the-job accident or illness. If you’ve suffered a workplace injury and are questioning whether to hire an attorney or represent yourself, the decision depends on several factors.
When to Speak For Yourself
It’s true—you may be able to get by without the aid of a workers’ comp attorney. But before you decide you can take on your case alone, consider the following circumstances. You may not need legal assistance if:
- You have suffered a minor injury. Minor injuries include twisted ankles or inconsequential cuts are treated with stitches. They should not result in permanent loss of body function.
- Little to no work is missed after the accident occurs. You’re able to head back to work at your current job after a few days or weeks of recovery. Your doctor has granted permission to go back to work without signs of limitations.
- Your employer admits the accident and injury happened at the work-site. Whether they witnessed the accident or not, your employer has spoke with you and other possible witnesses in order to understand and bear the situation.
If all statements above are true, but you’re still unsure about handling everything on your own, that’s ok. Scheduling a free consultation to discuss your case with a workers’ comp attorney will help you better understand the process and alert of any risks that could have looked over.
When to Hire a Workers’ Comp Attorney
Sometimes injury circumstances turn into complex situations. Hire a workers’ comp lawyer if you find yourself in any of these positions:
- Your injuries prevent you from returning to work. Employers with permanent disability, whether partial or total, may be entitled to a lump sum or lifetime weekly payments in order to make up for lost wages. These types of injuries are often so expensive that insurance companies will do anything to avoid the bill. Having a workers’ comp lawyer is crucial during this time.
- The employer’s settlement doesn’t cover all medical bills or lost wages. All agreements must receive judicial approval, but that doesn’t always mean it’s completely fair. Workers’ comp attorneys make sure you’ll get the best settlement possible.
- Your employer denies your claim or you don’t receive benefits. Too often do injured employers accept the denial and move on. The best chance of collecting an acceptable settlement is through legal assistance.
- Filing a claim results in punishment from the employer. This can include getting fired, reduced hours, less pay and more. Discrimination is not acceptable—contact a workers’ compensation lawyer as soon as possible.
No matter how minor or severe your injuries are, you’re entitled to get assistance from a workers’ comp attorney. If you’ve suffered an injury at the workplace in North Carolina, The Workers’ Compensation Law Firm can help. We specialize in several common injuries and are ready to get you the benefits you deserve. Call us today to get started!
Our attorneys specialize in workman's comp, personal injury, and dispute resolution services.
We have have a long history of building long-term client relationships founded on trust and mutual respect.
With over 25 years of experience in civil litigation and thousands of cases mediated, Frank specializes in the fields of workers compensation and personal injury law.
Sherman is Licensed to Practice Law in North and South Carolina. He has extensive education in law and the mediation practice, professional experience and impressive memberships in many noteworthy political, civic and business organizations.
Ashley M. Edwards
Ashley is a NC attorney and certified mediator in North and South Carolina, Ashley has represented hundreds of clients and mediated thousands of cases for attorneys, insurance carriers and private companies.
“These guys are awesome and care about their clients very much. I would suggest anyone hurt on the job to contact them. Cannot express my appreciation enough to them!"
“Ashley Edwards genuinely cares about his clients and holds himself to the highest standards in all of his professional interactions. I am happy to recommend him to anyone who needs help navigating the workers compensation process."
“Ashley has been practicing compensation law in the greater Wilmington area for 15+ years. I have often turned to him for advice and counsel. He knows the law, is trustworthy, listens to his clients, and fights to do the right thing for them. He is my first call!"
“Mr Edwards made my case feel like it was his most important case. He is so caring and attentive."
“This was the first and only law firm I contacted after being injured. Everyone there has been on point concerning my case and extremely professional. I highly recommend contacting workers comp first if injured. It will be as if it's the most important case they have and they will not disappoint. Thank you to the entire team."
“Wonderful Experience under difficult circumstances. They helped me understand my rights and options under the law. Mr. Edwards took the time to help and meet with me whenever I had questions. He is highly recommended for his expert advice and service. "
“This is the place to go if you get hurt on the job Ashley and his paralegal Janet are really nice and super easy to talk to and they take the time to really listen to your problems and get you the help you need and deserve."
“They came out took out time to listen very smart he knows what he's talking about he heard me out and took my case under difficult sircumstances and i highly advise this is the law firm to consider."
“Sherman is one of the best mediators that I know---he is extremely proficient in Workers' Compensation Law and he is an outstanding communicator. I give Sherman my highest rating!"
“Great Experience with a caring lawyer who took the time to actually meet with me. He handled my case to the end and explained everything. Highly recommended."
“Ashley is very knowledgeable and relatable to his clients, to opposing counsel, and to all parties when acting as mediator. "
“Ashley didn't always tell me what I wanted to hear but he always told me the truth. He is very knowledgeable and professional... I would highly recommend Ashley if you feel the need to hire an attorney. "
Get in touch with our team for a free consultation.
Call (910) 341-3202 or complete the form on this page and we'll follow-up with you as soon as possible.